Monday, May 18, 2009

Summer fun on a budget...it CAN be done

***edited to add more on 6/15/09

Well, I went in to update with some more money saving tips and the whole topic got deleted somehow. I should have known better than to use the pc which froze up on me! So let me try this again!!! This will have all the same info, but I added a bunch about the Astros.


For a change I am going to try and give some money saving tips. This will be about how to do things this summer without breaking that bank. I had many people comment about how much stuff we did last summer with the kids. Honestly we were broke…and I mean broke last year, thanks to medical bills for the boys AND Marc. We managed to do something fun about once a week for free or very discounted. They boys had many doctor appointments in the Med Center last year. Instead of planning a fun day for just any old day, I planned around our doctor appointments….remember gas was about $4 a gallon last summer and the Med Center is about 45 miles away from our house. So here goes, I will try to include as many clickable links as possible. Sometimes blogger doesn’t publish the links correctly, so if you find one that I miss and it doesn’t work, let me know.


he first thing I am going to share is the the YMCA. Many times you can have the joining fees waived. If that isn’t enough they have a Membership for all program. It bases you monthly fee on your family size/income. There is a lot to do at the Y…daycamps, sleepover camps, sports, and swimming. Many Y’s now have a waterpark. If yours doesn’t there is an optional citywide upgrade (doing research I found out my membership is now citywide). The citywide gives you access to ANY Y in the city, so you can use any pool or waterpark. If you already have a membership to your local Y, ask about upgrading for the summer. In most cases it is only $5 extra a month.


This is one I have never been to before, but it sounds neat. The AD Players. There are children’s shows during the summer. Your Y membership will give you some discounts. You can save up to 40% off on a Family 4-pack of tickets---Only $95 for Mainstage performances and only $25 for Children’s Theater productions. Now personally, I don’t think I would do the Mainstage, but that is a good price for the Children’s perfomances.


The next place is The Houston Zoo. Now I know the idea of the zoo in the summer might seem crazy. We did it last year and brought tons of water plus lunches. When we got hot we went to the Children’s area and the kids played in the water fountain. There are lots of ways to get discounts at the zoo. You can visit the courtesy booth of any Fiesta Mart in the Houston area to purchase an adult Zoo admission for $8 and a child Zoo admission for $5. Tickets will be valid one year from purchase date. Use your Y membership and get half off kids ticket when you buy an adult ticket. Lone Star cardholders get in free along with up to 8 family members. (sorry, I didn’t research the Lone Star card) If you ride Metro bus or rail, present your ticket for $1 off. Active duty military personnel get in free (up to 8 family members) with your ID.


Everyone LOVES ice cream…right? Present your Y member card at Cold Stone Creamery for 10% off items.


Next is The Health Museum. We did this one last year and the kids loved it! They have Family Free Thursday’s from 2-5. That does not include the special exhibits. Those tickets are sold for $3. Your Y membership will get you $10 discount on a new family or family plus membership or 50% off general admission tickets (up to 4) with your Y card.

The Miller Outdoor Theater is always free.

Here is another I have never heard of The Main Street Theater. They have a musical performance of Winnie the Pooh. YMCA members get $6 tickets for the show.

I have never heard of this place.YMCA members get 25% off party booking.

The Nature Discovery Center is a warm and friendly place where kids and families share the joy of discover. It is housed in the old Henshaw home, nestled in Russ Pitman Park, a four-acre rural retreat in the midst of the city of Bellaire. It is FREE!

The Museum of Fine Arts has many different ways to get discounts. Thursdays are FREE. YMCA members get $1 off a child ticket when an adult is purchased (limit 2). Children 18 and under with a public library card get in free on weekends. The sculpture garden is open daily and FREE. The first Sunday of the month is also FREE.

Everyone LOVES Schlitterbahn! YMCA members print THIS COUPON and save up to $15.
The Children’s Museum is always a hit with the kids! With you Y card you get $1 off kids ticket with purchase of adult. Thursday’s from 5-8pm are FREE. JPMorgan Chase employees (up to 6) are also FREE until June 14.

Gotta love Moody Gardens Print THIS PAGE and save up to $12 with a Y card. Although personally, I think this is a high $$ day. If you plan think you might go more than once this summer consider an annual pass.

Ever wanted to watch the Houston Dynamo?. Buy your tickets through this this link and enter password ymca09 for a discount.

Admission to The Museum of Natural Science is only $6 when you print THIS PAGE and bring it in. ALSO Tuesday afternoons AFTER 2, admission to the main exhibit halls is FREE!!!!

The Studio Movie Grill is giving Y members and a guest a movie ticket at the student price.

Here is some info about specials with the Astros. If you sign up for the Astros email newsletter you will receive email with includes E-saver ticket options. The most recent one I received is for 50% off tickets to the game on May 20. That is for seats ANYWHERE not just the nosebleeds. The Astros also have Price Matters Days and Coca-Cola Value nights. For Double Play Tuesdays you can take in 2-32 oz Powerade labels and get 2 tickets for $2. Here are some more deals from the Astros. Kids tickets are FREE during the summer!

Buy discounted tickets for Broadway Across America with Y card BEFORE the general public to see Dora.

KBR kids day along Buffalo Bayou is June 6 and FREE.

We went to Discovery Green last year and the kids had a blast. There is a parking meter fee, but Discovery Green is FREE.

Waterway Square is also pretty cool. There are some fountains for the kids to play in and cool off. I don’t know that bigger kids would have as much fun as the little kids though.

Summer also means Vacation Bible School Most churches do this and it is also FREE through most churches.

Huntsville State Park has fishing, hiking, camping and picnics. Fee is $4 per person for ages 13 and older.

I knew about this one, but forgot. I was reminded when someone posted a link on facebook (thanks). The Disney Train Tour is coming to town in August and it is FREE.

Well, I can't believe I forgot about The Kemah Boardwalk!!!! According to the Calendar of Events there is a fireworks show every Friday night in June. There are also fountains to play in, shops for shopping, and tons of restaurants. There is a Stingray reef where you can feed the stingrays. Plus there are amusement rides. The Kemah Boardwalk website is not very good about giving prices, but I found out you can go to the Bay Area Houston Convention & Visitors Bureau and get discounted Kemah Boardwalk All Day Ride Passes $16.95/no tax.

There is also Space Center Houston. If you buy tickets before midnight tonight through the website, the tickets are half price. You can also go to one of these places and get coupons for half off tickets.

I am on budget burn out! These are some of the things WE will be doing this summer. There are also local parks. If you know of anything else, let me know.

Have fun!!!!

***Not all these require a Y membership!

No comments:

Post a Comment